PARIS (Reuters) – French President Emmanuel Macron called on Thursday for European companies to suspend planned investment in the United States after U.S. President Donald Trump announced sweeping global tariffs on American imports.
“I think what’s important, and that’s all the work that must be done by sector, that the investments to come or investments announced in recent weeks should be suspended until things are clarified with the United States,” Macron said during a meeting with French industry representatives.
Macron said no response had been ruled out yet and suggested using the anti-coercion mechanism, responses targeting digital services and looking at financing mechanisms of the U.S. economy.
Macron added that the response to the reciprocal tariffs would be “more massive” than its earlier retaliation to U.S. steel and aluminum tariffs.
Macron called the tariffs “brutal and unfounded” and a shock for international trade, and that Europe must respond “industry by industry”.
(Reporting by Dominique Patton and GV De Clercq; Editing by Makini Brice)
Comments